Friday, June 4, 2010

Craftsmanship

There is a distinct advantage to only being one piece of the puzzle, one cog in the big machine, or a single step in the process. There is less stress, the ability to really specialize in a given area, and feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself.

I don't think that's what I want to do.

I watched a couple of videos on my Cool Hunting app on my iPad. The first was about a bed maker in Sweden that hand makes mattresses. They control every aspect, and only build the mattresses to order. The whole process is done with a great deal of thought. They didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but there are beds made by these guys still in use a century later.

The next video was about these guys who make chocolate back east. They hand sort all the beans, and have a custom process for providing a product that is pure and made by people who care. I really liked the idea that they could be successful by seeking simplicity with a craftsman's pride.

Beds and chocolate, products that everyone probably needs or wants at some point.

Books. Publishing a book... there are many options. The chief complaint I have seen about ebooks is their poor arrangement and editing. I can pay Lulu one hundred dollars to arrange my work in ePub format, or I can learn to do it myself. It is very tempting to just pay someone else to arrange my work, but I feel like it is part of the craft most authors have never embraced, letting a traditional publisher handle the details.

I want to be a craftsman in this regard, not just telling a good story but also arranging my own works in various digital and print formats. I think it had always been my intention to do so, but it makes more sense to me now than it did before.

-- Sent from my Tech Envy Generator

1 comment:

  1. Mark Z. Danielewski made a name for himself by doing just that. His book House of Leaves can only be read physically in hand because the format he used. You find yourself flipping back and forth researching the information he presents to you right in the story. Kind of like if you tried to read a pop-up book on a computer...

    ReplyDelete