Monday, September 27, 2010

Gear Fear

I really want a 27-30" Monitor that's 2560 x 1440 or larger for drawing in high resolution with Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop. Being able to have a 1920 x 1080 rendering with room for my tool bars around the sides would be wicked cool. So I did what I always do, and I went to the Apple site to see what their new monitor looks like. $999.00 seemed pretty cheap for a monitor that size and resolution, but Apple couldn't be cheaper... could they?

That just never happens.

Usually I end up settling for peripherals from some other company to save a buck. After some pretty extensive looking, I can't find a cheaper monitor than Apple's 27" Cinema Display, comparing Apples to Apples. Even Dell doesn't make a cheaper monitor, and they were the closest, at $1100. Could it be that Apple's new cinema display monitor happens to be the cheap option?

Mind boggling.

People complained about the iPad, saying that no one would pay $500+ for one. Looking at the devices to come out in the last quarter of this year, and first quarter of next, there a few that might give the iPad a run for it's money. Sort of. None of the slate devices I think have a shot, actually weigh in at a lower price. They're about the same, more, or require a data plan to work.

It used to be that if you bought Apple, you'd plan to pay more for a better piece of gear. What's going to happen to the market when buying Apple garners you the same quality with a price somewhere around what the other guys are charging? Dell, HP, and Samsung will all have a tablet device on the market soon, but are they watching Apple's other products and the price points for each?

Maclife is supposed to have the new Cinema Displays today. I can't wait to lay hands on one.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great price...I will have to check them out...

    ReplyDelete