I have two great loves.
2. Computer Technology
I've been looking long and hard at the Mac OS Server and the many things it would allow me to do.
- My own email server for use by myself, friends, and family.
- I could create a Wiki for Dreams & Echoes.
- Host that webpage I always wanted to create.
- VPN my resources from anywhere and have my data and works centrally located.
- Set up a way for all my collaborators to view and contribute to ongoing works remotely.
- Host Podcasts, iChat, and so forth.
- Provide my home network that added level of security.
The new server even has iPhone support so all my friends who have them could access resources on the server. I could put together an Address Book server for the family, gathering everyone's contact information so people could get in contact with each other easier.
I need to do some more research.
- I need to figure out if Windows machines will play nice with key elements of the server.
- How user friendly the Mac Server software is. Will I figure things out in two months or two years?
- Whether the machine I'm thinking of using will support the server traffic I'm thinking I'll encounter.