Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wacom Cintiq Companion

Like a lot of people probably, I received an email from Wacom announcing their new Cintiq Companion tablets. I clicked it assuming it was just new peripherals and not stand alone computing devices. I was seriously blown away by what I saw when I went to the site.

Some background first. I've been using Macs since 2009 but have had to go back to using Windows machines because Apple hasn't been serious about creating workstation grade hardware for quite awhile now. They are finally getting around to updating the Mac Pro. I could, and probably have written a while blog post on that subject.

Anyway, I've been using my Surface Pro quite a bit to create digital artwork, and it's fast enough to handle working in 300 dpi when I'm doing something for print. The screen resolution is great and the color gamut sufficient. However, it's a 10" screen and there are no physical controls beyond the pen. For ticky-tack stuff I end up on my Lenovo workstation with a Wacom tablet wishing there was some way to have the benefits of both in a single device.

It sounds like Wacom may have gone and done just that. From the specifications it appears to have a lot of what I'm looking for, including a 64 bit OS and 13.3" full HD screen display. I'm sure there are already people grumbling that this doesn't have Haswell, but I'm just happy someone is making a tablet device, with pen input, with this form factor.

Check it out for yourself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment